Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Okkervil River: the cliff



So I'm back from the wonderful mountains of North Carolina. The first thing I'd like to point out is that I have a new "you might be indie rock if..." joke. It follows.

You might be indie rock if, you hike up this freakin mountain in jeans.

I've got many more, but I just thought I'd share that one with you. And for those of you who don't know, that is me up there 4,000 feet in the air.
Anyways how does this apply to Okkervil River you may be asking yourself? Well as I sat on this cliff the following lyrics just kept repeating in my head.

Loosen the wire, your time has expired, the only word left is “goodbye.” In my new dream the light's shining on me, little needles of sodium unstitch the seams of the sky. Hold your head higher, the heavenly choir is settling in for the night. And where I had friends I am left with loose ends; four hours of vision exchanged for four hours of fright. But enough of “the fight,” enough “you and I,” enough of “prevail” or “walk in the light.” While the angels stand by I get high as a kite.

You can download the original version (from their first record, Stars to Small to Use) of this song here...

2 comments:

Jeff - OWTK said...

Hi Zak, nice picture and funny joke. yeah, indie rockers need to be introduced to shorts. Great song. I recently saw that Stars to Small to Use went for $96 on eBay...and I was actually considering bidding on it. It is the only OR record I do not own.

I wish I could have contributed to the OR material over the past couple weeks but a sick baby and other writing demands kept me from it. Keep up the great work. You should write about Pela next, I bet they would be more accomadating with interviews, etc.

Zak Champagne said...

Holy Crap! $96 is very high. I've got a new band coming tomorrow and Pela is definitely on the landscape. I really love that record, the National's record, and the Battles new cd. I'm inidated with great music right now.