Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A Review of "Night of the Furies"


With permission from the Rosebuds and Merge, we are posting an exclusive MP3 of Silja Line. It is the version from the record, but The Rosebuds and Merge have only given A Better Offer permission to post this MP3. It will only be up through weekend, so grab it now and listen. I am certain that it will convince you to buy the record.

MP3--Silja Line: On Settling for Normal (A BETTER OFFER EXCLUSIVE) (LINK REMOVED)

Night of the Furies by The Rosebuds

Well I’m sure it is apparent that I am completely enamored by the Rosebuds' excellent new record. I still however felt compelled to write a review of the record. So here goes... The Rosebuds left us in 2005 with Birds Make Good Neighbors—a indie rock gem. I was looking forward to Night of the Furies, but for whatever reason, I was not expecting what I got. When I first heard the record, a shy 9 days ago, I was a little surprised at the change in sound. This record is very danceable and very dark at the same time. This Rosebuds have found a way to write really beautiful songs that have very heavy subject matter. In our interview, they wrote, “we think, if you have a message you want people to care about, all the better if the song it lives in is good. There is a lot of beauty in things that are true—even if that truth is disturbing.”

The beauty of this record is that it is easily accessible for any music listener. Anyone can pick up the cd and have an enjoyable listen. It’s dancy, catchy, and the melodies are beautiful. But the more astute music listener can find meanings throughout. One can follow the story of the Furies throughout and find times when they crop up on the record. With this record, The Rosebuds have solidified their place as one of the most creative storytelling musicians today. The record opens with two instantly catchy songs, “My Punishment for Fighting,” and “Cemetery Lawns.” Lyrics such as “I’ve got blood in the palms of my hands/It’s only blood they’ll understand,” show that the catchiness is laden with the beginnings of the story of the Furies (see post below). The third track,“I Better Run,” brings Kelly’s vocals to a new level. She sings “she’s probably dead, but dead in a secret place/From drugs, dirty murder, or some such thing.” While these first few songs certainly set a tone for the record, The Rosebuds do not become complacent with this. They change things up musically with “Get Up Get Out” but keep the political fuel coming. In my mind the record really grabs you at track six. By that time you understand the way the records going. “Hold on to This Coat,” is a extra catchy little song and even it’s lyrics hint at the change that is coming. “Soon enough, the leaves will grow and your heart deep inside will start to show.” Now it’s on “Silja Line: on settling for normal” where this record really makes it’s statement. The track is absolutely beautiful. And I think it provides the most logical progression from where “Birds Make Good Neighbors” left off and where this record begins. Ivan sings about the “plain folks who don’t mind/the sound of screaming children”…and then continues with, “no way to change what’s been said and done/I’ve set my own course and I’ll try to carry on.” He is clearly ready for the inevitable—whatever that may be. Now The record ends as brilliantly as it began. Track 8 is “The Lights Went Dim,” and Kelly takes the lead vocals on this one. This is the first time I realized that the story of the Furies may not turn out like I expected. Kelly sings, “I'm certain that it’s true, though I hate to think my lover/Never made it through.” And finally the story of the Furies culminates on the last track on the record. “The Night of Three Furies” is another dark yet catchy track that tells the end of the story. And I’ll keep my theories to myself about what happens, and you go listen and make your own.

If you don’t own this record yet, I strongly suggest you purchase it here. OR ENTER OUR CONTEST WHERE YOU COULD WIN AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY!

No comments: